Cristina Chacon Gallery Blog

Welcome to our Blog!!

Enjoy our best moments!!



Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Piece of Berlin in Miami

Pastels and the Berlin Wall : By Marta Culver

In the Summer of 2008 I made a very short visit to Berlin, less than 24 hours: the town and its history impressed me very much and especially matters concerning the legendary Berlin Wall. The remnants of the wall have been a magnet for me. The first piece I saw of it was at Potsdamer Platz, today a very modern place in the middle of Berlin, yesterday a nowhere land where the Wall dividing East and West was standing. I immediately had the idea of making paintings based on the graphics and the designs of the Berlin Wall. In 2009 I returned to Berlin for several more days and I was able to see the East Side Gallery: this is the longest part of the Wall still standing, and it is full of graffitti and drawings. And I also saw two other pieces of the Wall at the front of the Berlin Wall Museum. This inspired me to do the pastels; the reason why...I do not know but I felt the desire to do it. The glory and tragedy of Berlin has a lot to do with it. These paintings are part of the exhibition "Blended "Come and join us on September 4th from 7pm to 10 pm at Cristina Chacon Studio Gallery, 3162 Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove, MIami.






No comments:

Post a Comment